Friday, October 14, 2011

So... it turns out...

Turns out that even though I know how to do some stuff and have spent well over, goodness let's not even TALK about money here, let's just say LOTS of money at Lowe's over the past five years... turns out - they aren't interested in hiring true do-it-yourself'ers. No seriously.

Yes, I am aware that I have almost 20 years of managerial experience. Yes, I am aware that I am only looking for a part-time no responsibility job and yes, I totally get that I'm 42 years old and should be doing something different with my life.

Here's what ya don't get. I AM doing something different with my life. I am going to school. FULL TIME. Before I worked full time and went to school part time. Didn't work. Now, it is working. I'm sorry that you can't see the benefit of hiring someone that knows how to match paint with your drapes, and lay tile, lay floors, put in lights, and assist in every other project you can come up with cause I ain't skeered a nothin'. But my goodness, you don't see that I show up to work on time (or early) pull my weight (and other's too) and that I've been known to bust a few chops in my time but have always thought it best to lead by example... i.e. work your @$$ off... but what you see, is a 42 year old woman, that is over qualified.

Thanks.

By the way... I either did the work or helped do the work on this too...

A once very dark eat in kitchen/den (with - count 'em - two light fixtures)and believe me, it wasn't just dark in there, it seemed dark EVERYWHERE. The kitchen window was blocked by the previous back porch, there was a dark rust colored indoor/outdoor carpet throughout the space... it was gloomy.
With some (albeit is classy) 1970's appliances... did I fail to mention the CARPET throughout... and it was massively full with the big 'ole kitchen table to feed my big 'ole family! If you set the table you had to move everything off the table so you could use it as work space...
Little or no counter space, there was a bar that separated the back door from the kitchen, but it was useless. So... we changed it. Recycled, repurposed, and reused every single thing we possibly could.

Into something like this (and in this picture the five recessed lights are not on... for the hallowed Christmas effect)...
The kids (all of them) had no problems roaming around the kitchen and dining area to get at all the snacks and food and drinks. There was space to prepare it and loads of space to set things out to offer it. With over 20+ folks in the house, for once, I didn't feel crowded at all.

And we did this. Me or the hubs or me AND the hubs... but WE did this. There is no more carpet. There is lots of light. There is a WINDOW in the kitchen that you can look out now. There is a chandelier (that might look familiar if you look at my previous living room post) in the dining area. The old bar that separated the kitchen from the den before was repurposed into a duel level island. There are now three bar stools there also, which the kids and I love to use. After all, the kitchen is still the heart of the home (at least at ours).

So, Dear Lowe's, you may not think I am a good fit to help the folks in your store... but to my friends, family and children... I am fearless and can do/will do/obviously have done LOTS of home improvement projects... and I'm not done.

Just wait until I get my degree in Environmental/Electrical Engineering... I will be unstoppable.

No comments:

Post a Comment